FALL Schedule begins Tuesday, September 3rd. Come join us!
Flamenco dance is an expressive art form with ritual significance. It is fused from elements from different cultures – Gypsy (or Roma), North African Moors, and southern Spain. As a consequence, flamenco possesses a wide variety of melodies and rhythms that together can express the deepest and most complex essence of being human.
The cost per class is $15 or you can purchase a 6 class card for $78. Student and professional scholarship and discounts available upon request.
All classes are held at the 6411 Overbrook Garage Studio, Phila 19151.
BASIC BEGINNER FLAMENCO
The beginning student is introduced to simpler palos (rhythm families) through a series of specific studies:
- Flamenco posture
- Torso and shoulder exercises for the flamenco movement
- Exercising the wrist, palm and fingers (hand movements)
- Exercising the head and arms
- Basic head and arm positions
- Exercising the hips
- Putting the exercises into sequence
- Postures for footwork and basic blows
- Sequences of footwork with body and skirt movement to the various flamenco rhythms
- Exercises of palmas (hand clapping) to increase rhythmic understanding
- Sequences of movements with application of all the above in the various flamenco palos and cante
CHILDREN’S BASIC BEGINNER
Applying all of the above specifics on Flamenco Technique using simple imagery and interactive approach
The advanced beginner has some experience in Flamenco and understands concepts of the posture, arm and hand positions.
Building on these concepts we will explore connecting all these components to larger phrases por alegrias, tangos and bulerias de Cadiz.
We will study different palmas to the various palos.
Incorporate footwork technique with arms and body movements.