Winter Class Schedule (starting January 4, 2016)
Saturdays, 10-11:30 am
Introduction to the various flamenco “palos” (family rhythms) through,
- Colocacion: upper and lower body placement
- Braceo: basic arm movements
- Taconeo: footwork patterns
- Marcaje: marking patterns
- Palmas: hand-clapping
- Vueltas: turns
- Choreography- phrase work that will help you understand the structure of the various palo’s
Technique for increasing complexities and speed in footwork, upper body stylization, incorporating full body expression in choreography. Included in this level,
- Musicality of palos
- More depth of understanding compás with various palos.
- Additional study of Sevillanas. Sevillanas are a type of folk music and dance of Seville and its region. They were derived from the Seguiriya, an old Castilian folk music and dance genre. In the nineteenth century they were influenced by Flamenco. They have a relatively limited musical pattern but are rich in lyrics based on country life, virgins, country towns, neighborhoods, pilgrimage, and love theme
There is a $15 drop in fee, or all three sessions are $45 upfront.
Student and professional scholarship and discounts available upon request.
All classes are held at the 6411 Overbrook Garage Studio, Philadelphia, PA 19151.
Children’s Flamenco Classes with Marissa Urzua
Starting in January 2016, Pasión y Arte will now offer flamenco classes for children!
Classes will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4pm-5pm for ages 4-6 and 5pm-6pm for ages 7-12. This will be a fun introduction to flamenco for both girls and boys. Girls will just need a skirt and any shoe with a heel.
Classes are $12 each or purchase a six class card for $60.
Classes will start January 12th, 2016.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Marissa Urzua is a dancer, choreographer and teacher who just moved to Philadelphia from California. She has trained under Timo Nunez for the past 13 years. Growing up she studied under her mother, who is the owner and director of Garcia Dance Studio. Marissa has choreographed and taught (ages 3-50+) at all three locations of the Garcia Dance Studio. Marissa loves exploring all different types of Latin dance from Bachata, Salsa and flamenco.