Welcome to Pasión y Arte Flamenco Co.
Pasión y Arte, Philadelphia’s premier-contemporary flamenco dance company, embraces artistic excellence in performance, education and community engagement focused on modern feminist flamenco.
We are excited and proud to announce that Pasion y Arte is a 2015-2016 PNC Arts Alive Grant Recipient. Pasion y Arte and PNC Arts Alive will be presenting the new initiative: “Philly Tablao” at the Asian Arts Initiative. Philly Tablao will feature Pasion y Arte, local Philadelphia Flamenco Companies, and an array of special flamenco artists from Spain and the US.
Philly Tablao will consist of four separate weekend-long performances, Thursday through Saturday at the intimate Asian Arts Initiative Black Box Theater. Wine and tapas will be served as it is traditionally done at Tablaos in Spain.
It is through the generous support of PNC Arts Alive that we are able to bring this innovative program to the nightlife of Philadelphia. Please visit PNC Art Alive’s website for more information.
Please stay tuned for ticket and schedule information in the coming months!
This July we are very excited to announce our Saturday classes will be held with our very own Monica Craun! Classes will be held on July 11th, 18th, and 25th. We will not have classes on July 4th.
Saturdays, 10-11:30 am
Introduction to the various flamenco “palos” (family rhythms) through,
- Colocacion: upper and lower body placement
- Braceo: basic arm movements
- Taconeo: footwork patterns
- Marcaje: marking patterns
- Palmas: hand-clapping
- Vueltas: turns
- Choreography- phrase work that will help you understand the structure of the various palo’s
Technique for increasing complexities and speed in footwork, upper body stylization, incorporating full body expression in choreography. Included in this level,
- Musicality of palos
- More depth of understanding compás with various palos.
- Additional study of Sevillanas. Sevillanas are a type of folk music and dance of Seville and its region. They were derived from the Seguiriya, an old Castilian folk music and dance genre. In the nineteenth century they were influenced by Flamenco. They have a relatively limited musical pattern but are rich in lyrics based on country life, virgins, country towns, neighborhoods, pilgrimage, and love theme
There is a $15 drop in fee, or all three sessions are $45 upfront.
Student and professional scholarship and discounts available upon request.
All classes are held at the 6411 Overbrook Garage Studio, Philadelphia, PA 19151.